Arab Media & Society, the journal of the Kamal Adham Center for Television and Digital Journalism in the School of Global Affairs and Public Policy at the American University in Cairo is looking for an Assistant Editor to help with operations and the publication of our biannual issues.
About the Publication
Arab Media & Society is a primary resource for all things media in the region. The journal offers quality research and analysis on the dynamic media landscape across the Arab world. This extends beyond the news, to entertainment, social media, technology, press freedoms, and more. The journal has a rich history of quality contributions to the field of media. As a hybrid publication, we publish both peer-reviewed scholarship as well as long-form journalism, columns, and multimedia content.
About the Position
As Assistant Editor, the successful candidate will work closely with the editorial team, reporting directly to the Managing Editor and Director of the Adham Center. They will be expected to contribute in several ways including, but not limited to: Editing, strategizing, identifying contributors and reviewers, updating social media, website management, event preparation, and other tasks as agreed upon.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, global studies, social sciences, or a related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- 3 years working in journalism, academia, communications, or media or a comparable combination of education and experience.
- Strong editing skills and an understanding of academic publication and journalism best practices.
- General understanding of the media landscape in the region.
- Experience managing social media accounts.
- Some experience with website management a plus.
- Graphic design capabilities a plus.
- Excellent command of the English language is necessary, strong command of Arabic a significant asset.
The position is consultancy based for an initial period of 6 months with possibility of extension. If interested please send your CV and a brief cover letter to Sarah El-Shaarawi, Managing Editor, at email@example.com.